Pam's Mom's Brisket(1 4 – 5 lb. Brisket, chuck, cross rib roast or 6 lbs. short ribs)
“We usually stay away from recipes recommending packaged soup mix or bottled chilli sauce, but some of these recipes just plain taste good and have become family favorites over the years…Time pressured cooks were not just a '50s thing: these days most of us can use all the help we can get.”
- 1 pck dried onion soup mix (or as Katie recommends)
- 3 med. Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup bottled chilli sauce (or as Katie recommends)
- 1 bottle lager beer
- .5 c water or stock
- 1 4 to 5 lb. Roast
- salt and pepper to taste
- additional water or stock, if needed
- Combine the ingredients in a large Dutch oven with a cover or a covered casserole. Put the meat in and spoon some of the sauce over the top.
- Cover the pot and bake n the center of the oven for 2.5 – 4 hours (or until fork-tender).
- Ideally, you should refrigerate the meat and sauce over-night, remove the congealed fat, then slice and reheat the meat in the sauce. Or you can defat the sauce, taste for salt and pepper, and slice the meat, and serve it in the sauce immediately. If the sauce seems too thick, dilute it with a little water or stock.
From The Complete Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly